FEATURED POST: THE FIRST POST OF THIS BLOG

MY JOURNEY BEYOND THE SCALE TRULY BEGINS TODAY

One would think that as a person who has spent over a year attending classes at the Institute of Holistic Nutrition, and who has spent the l...

Wednesday 4 May 2016

CONTROL. IS IT EVEN POSSIBLE WHEN LIFE SUCKS?

As a Weight Watchers Leader I often talk about being "in control".

A prime example of losing control can occur when a significant incident happens in life that throws you off track.

When something bad happens the easiest thing to do is to throw in the towel. After all, the "incident" is more important. 

Sometimes the situation can be so severe that you just don't care about anything, and I mean anything. So who cares if you give up on yourself? 

In fact I can almost guarantee you that if you tell your friends you're going to eat whatever you want right now because you have bigger things to worry about, the majority of your friends will support you and encourage the behaviour. After all, there will be plenty of time in the future to go back to focussing on your health. Right? They aren't trying to sabotage you. They are just trying to be good friends...and they can probably relate. 

Perhaps a loved one is sick or has just passed away, or you have our own health issue, or your new medications are causing weight gain.

Whatever the incident may be, it is important to recognize that you are at a critical juncture. 

You can choose to stay in control of one thing. It might be the only thing you control right now. Only you can decide that you will stay in control of your own health.

It isn't easy to decide to stay healthy...it is necessary.

Whenever someone says "you can't help others until you help yourself" there is always universal agreement, and yet when something happens and a person gives up on "self-focus" in order to help another, or get themselves through a difficult situation, it tends to not only be understood but supported. Why is that?

I think we all know what really needs to happen.  No matter what the scenario, we need to stay in control of ourselves.

What does that even mean though? Am I telling you that you need to make sure you track everything you put in your mouth while sitting by a loved one's bedside in hospital? Of course not.

I'm simply saying that staying present, and aware, is more important than ever.

I am speaking from a place of knowledge. Many of you know both of my parents and my sister have passed away, and I am currently working through the health issues of a loved one (who will be fine). I have dealt with my emotions by eating too often in the past. I will not allow it to get me this time. I am better than that.

Here is the thing:  None of us are perfect. I don't even want to be perfect anymore. 

If you find yourself in a situation where food is becoming your medication, and/or friends are bombarding you with comfort dishes to make you feel better, ask yourself if eating it is the right decision in the long term. Don't ask yourself if it is the right decision "right now" because the devil on your shoulder will feed you the wrong answer and you are probably weak enough to listen.

Find the strength to stay strong. If I can do it, you can do it.

Alan

P.S. I normally post pics of my food from the day prior. Although I do have them, and I ate well, I don't want to diminish today's message by reducing the blog to "what Alan ate yesterday". 









No comments:

Post a Comment