FEATURED POST: THE FIRST POST OF THIS BLOG

MY JOURNEY BEYOND THE SCALE TRULY BEGINS TODAY

One would think that as a person who has spent over a year attending classes at the Institute of Holistic Nutrition, and who has spent the l...

Saturday 7 May 2016

I NEED HELP

My partner has told me I need help for years. He's right. I do.

I need serious help...but who doesn't?

If I have learned nothing else on this journey it is that I am totally and utterly incapable of doing it on my own.

There are many times I have thought to myself: "For goodness sake Alan, you are not a child...buck up and just do it". Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but it NEVER works long term if I try to do it on my own.

After I held my two Weight Watcher meetings this morning I drove out to Newmarket (almost an hour drive) to meet with the sellers of a house I will be listing for sale and then started to head home. As I was driving home a funny thing happened...a big grin came over my face. It was then I realized I was thinking about the meetings I had held in the morning.

I don't know if either the Friday morning Weight Watchers group I attend as a member, or the Saturday Morning meetings I attend as a leader know this, but I REALLY need you.

You are the reason I have kept my weight off, for the most part, for 12 years...it is plain and simply other Weight Watcher Members that keep me ticking.

I love the brutal honesty that we are able to share in our "safe zone" and the familiarity that we find in each other's struggles. I love the fact that I can talk to you about everything from a great dish I prepared, to my purchase of new underwear. You are an amazing group of people.

So to those people who think like I used to think, and get frustrated because they think they should be able to do it on their own I say the following:

1) Why should you be able to it on your own? Is there a rule somewhere I don't know about?
2) Even if you could, why would you want to?

The meetings I am at are bright spots in my week every week.

If you are a member and you don't feel that way about your meeting (and I say this EVEN if your meeting happens to be a meeting I lead), find another meeting. You need to be somewhere where you feel connected. Just don't do it on your own.

Doing it on your own doesn't make you an adult. Recognizing and accepting support when you need it makes you an adult.

Sometimes we still want to be a child though. I am going to be a child tonight. I'm going out for dinner and drinks tonight and I am NOT going to count my points. So there!

Tomorrow I will be an adult again :-)

Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment