FEATURED POST: THE FIRST POST OF THIS BLOG

MY JOURNEY BEYOND THE SCALE TRULY BEGINS TODAY

One would think that as a person who has spent over a year attending classes at the Institute of Holistic Nutrition, and who has spent the l...

Wednesday 15 June 2016

Day 16 IN HAWAII: Travel days don't suit my health.

Note: On mobiles there may be large gaps between pictures. Just keep scrolling down. If you get an error message on the videos there is probably also a link in the
 error message telling you that if you click the link you can view it on youtube. The videos don't seem to work on all web browsers.

Aloha

Yesterday we travelled from the Island of Kauai to the Big Island of Hawai'i (usually simply referred to as "the Big Island").

I am not sure if I will ever master travel days. I don't do them well. I didn't do it well this time either.

Breakfast was great (simply eggs and veggies), but then, we hadn't actually started travelling yet.







































I also got a good walk in (6000 steps) before we left for the airport at 9:00AM.

We got there too early and that is where the trouble began. We had breakfast AGAIN. Not the good kind either...five whopping pancakes with syrup. I forgot to take a picture but they were huge. If I can find a positive in this it is that we at least shared an order instead of having an order each.

After eating that Jamie decided he needed a nap at the airport check-in gate, and I decided I needed to walk. So I walked the airport until my fitbit said I was up to 15,000 steps. This would have been a very positive thing if it weren't for the bag of trail mix I bought to eat while walking :-(.

Jamie picked up a bag of Chocolate Wafers and between us we managed to scarf down 3/4 of that bag throughout the day as well.







































We didn't have lunch (who needed it at that point) but that meant by the time we got to our new resort we were hungry (well...actually I was just really thirsty and Jamie was fine...but by the time 5pm rolled around I was starving).

The concierge at this resort had recommended a few restaurants and we decided to go to a place called "The Big Island Grill" for fish as he said it was one of his favourites. We couldn't find a website for them online but we did find this menu for the place online which quickly changed our mind. Look at the prices (US dollars)!!!!







































(Side note: Don't always trust menus online unless they are from the actual restaurant...we stopped by this restaurant after we had had our dinner and this menu is totally bogus. It looks identical to the menu in the restaurant but the real prices are actually reasonable. A mean competitor must have posted this menu. We will go back and eat there another time.).

So instead of having fish we went to a different place suggested by the concierge called "The Ultimate Burger" and I had a Burger and Fries. I know, I know, but I will say this: The Burger was organic and hot damn it was good!!! It was not a great day from a health perspective but at least I can say we had a delicious dinner. Of course to ensure I packed on the calories I had two beers there and and two more back at the resort.



































































I can easily say "I am on vacation and I deserve to indulge" but travel days aren't the days to indulge.

I need to figure out this "travel day" thing.  I'm not beating myself up but I do regret it. I'm sitting on the terrace feeling bloated this morning.

It is nice to be on the Big Island though. Our evening last night looked kind of like this.





We are starting to think we may not actually see any of the Big Island as we are enjoying sitting on the terrace of our condo too much :-)








Aloha!

Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment