FEATURED POST: THE FIRST POST OF THIS BLOG

MY JOURNEY BEYOND THE SCALE TRULY BEGINS TODAY

One would think that as a person who has spent over a year attending classes at the Institute of Holistic Nutrition, and who has spent the l...

Sunday 19 June 2016

DAY 20 IN HAWAII: ACTIVE VOLCANO DAY!

Note: On mobiles there may be large gaps between pictures. Just keep scrolling down. If you get an error message on the videos there is probably also a link in the error message telling you that if you click the link you can view it on youtube. The videos don't seem to work on all web browsers.

Aloha!

What a great day we had yesterday. We went to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. We liked it so much I think we are going to go back on Tuesday. Jamie wants to do the 2 -3 hour hike down the hill to stand on the floor of one of the craters. I'm so excited! I love the thought of this.

We got up extra early and prepared a tuna sandwich lunch to have there.




















It's about a two hour drive (three if you stop to see some stuff on the way as we did).

We stopped for breakfast on the way and I had this.




















Great choice right? OMG. LOL.

Believe it or not I am actually pleased with myself over this choice. We had been told by a few people we HAD to try this traditional Hawaiian breakfast called a Loco Moco and this is it. It is basically rice, Kalua Pork (hamburger is often used instead), two fried eggs, and gravy.

Why am I pleased with the choice? Because it was a Hawaiian dish I knew I wanted to try and because of what I didn't eat. I left this behind:







































We then set off for a fabulous day. There are actually tons of craters at the Volcano Park (too many to post) but the crater in the pictures below is the best one.

Jamie even took the time to show Sandy Seymour he is working on his Yoga technique :-)





















































This lava hole above is really cool. Lava poured around a tree that was known for having a trunk full of water. Because the trunk was so wet the lava didn't set the tree on fire at first and a lava mold formed around the trunk of the tree underground. Eventually the water dried up and the trees went up in flames leaving the lava mold. This particular hole is about 15 ft deep.



























This is the view from last night's hotel room onto the healing island called Coconut Island. Native Hawaiian women used to bury their umbilical chords under the rocks here and it is believed the water around the island will cure you of any ailments or illnesses you have...so of course we just had to go stand in the waters.

















































I am so tempted to jump today. Just don't know if I have the nerve. The jump would be into the waters of the healing island so if I get injured I would be instantly cured. Right?



The pictures below are from this morning. I have never actually seen a "moon set" before. It was fascinating to watch.







We stayed in Hilo on the other side of the Island last night and the Hotel concierge recommended we go to a restaurant called Seaside Restaurant for a fish dinner.

We split Fried Calamari as an appetizer (well worth the splurge).



I ordered grilled fish for dinner and sadly it was tough and tasted like crap (Jamie ordered a different fish dinner and it was also crap). We were disappointed but I guess the restaurant choices can't always be winners.



It was served on a huge portion of pasta. I didn't eat most of it. Not because I was stressed about eating pasta, but because I just wasn't that hungry and it wasn't worth it. Jamie left his as well. Sometimes the food journey victories lie in what you decide to leave on the plate. This is what I didn't eat.



I reserved my food/drink intake for a couple of glasses of wine back at the hotel.

All in all a great day.

Aloha!

Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment