FEATURED POST: THE FIRST POST OF THIS BLOG

MY JOURNEY BEYOND THE SCALE TRULY BEGINS TODAY

One would think that as a person who has spent over a year attending classes at the Institute of Holistic Nutrition, and who has spent the l...

Thursday 2 June 2016

DAY 3 IN HAWAII: Au Naturale Day

Aloha!

I woke up hungry yesterday morning but didn't want to have breakfast right away as I wanted to have it with Jamie (or maybe I just wanted him to make it) but he isn't allowed to eat for two hours or so after taking his Synthroid (Thyroid Replacement Pill), so I had some fruit to tide me over.



That didn't prove to be enough so I had more fruit :-)



That did the trick until Jamie started cooking. He made eggs, turkey, and veggies on toast. Perfect!



The morning was spent swimming in the pool and on the local beach and sitting in the hot tub (have I mentioned I love the hot tub?). Jamie made lunch (I am a lucky man) but said he felt like something more substantial today so he made pasta with pork and green beans.



It was then time to get in the car and hit the road. The first stop was a street side fruit and veggie market where we picked up more goodies:





The plan was to hit Makena Beach (better known as "Big Beach") and that was exactly what we did. It is only about a 20 minute drive with great ocean and golf course views along the way.

When we got there we saw a Fish Taco stand. We had heard so much about Fish Tacos we wanted to try one.



I had one bite and knew it really wasn't my thing so one bite was enough. Felt pretty proud of myself for not just "eating it anyway". Even Jamie thought it was "just ok".

Big Beach was absolutely beautiful and Jamie and I both had a great afternoon. He relaxed in the shade (which is what he loves to do) and I played around in the ocean for the afternoon (I think I should have been a fish...not the kind that ends up in a Taco though).







There is another side to "Big Beach" called "Little Beach". You have to climb over a hill of rocks to get to it but once on the other side you will find yourself on a nudist beach. I didn't take pictures for obvious reasons, but couldn't resist the temptation to jump in the water "au naturale".

It was a very freeing feeling but I think I would have liked it a lot better if I was the one one there. Jamie kept his clothes on and continued to enjoy the shade.

After getting home I decided that since it was "Global Runners Day" I should actually go for a run. I ran 5K. The first 1.5km was on the beach in the wet sand and was tough (but I now know that our stretch of beach is exactly 1.5km) and then I jumped up onto the road to run the rest. After I finished I jumped back in the Ocean and walked through the water another 1km home. It felt great and I think the salt water will be good for my knees and Achilles post-run.



When we were driving back from the beach earlier in the day we picked up some Mahi Mahi and some Moon Fish and Jamie made Fish with Brown rice and vegetables for dinner ( I really am spoiled).



I had some more fruit as snacks later. I know..it is a lot of fruit...but compare it to what I would have consumed if I had eaten out three times today.

All is good.

Today we are driving the famous Road to Hana . We are heading out about 6am (I'm posting this at 5"10AM Hawaii time) so it will be an early start but should be a great day!

Aloha

Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment